Missing skier found dead at resort near California’s Lake Tahoe

By Richard Ramos
A 21-year-old skier who was reported missing at a Northern California ski resort was found dead Thursday morning, officials said.
Deputies received a report of a possible missing person at Northstar California Resort around 11 p.m. Wednesday, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said.
Authorities quickly began investigating and located the man’s vehicle in the resort’s parking lot. Based on their investigation, the sheriff’s office said deputies determined the man had gone skiing earlier in the day and had not returned as expected.
The Placer County Office of Emergency Management coordinated search efforts, activating the Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue Team early Thursday morning. The search included 15 skiers, a snowcat and two snowmobilers. Northstar Ski Patrol members also assisted in the effort.
Search crews located the man deceased on the advanced Sugar Pine Trail, Northstar said. The sheriff’s office said the discovery happened around 9 a.m. The man has been identified as Colin Kang of the San Francisco Bay Area city of Fremont.
Thursday evening, Northstar California Resort confirmed Kang was an employee who was off-duty at the time of the incident. Kang was found dead on the advanced Sugar Pine Glade trail.
Additional details about the circumstances surrounding his death have not been released.
This marked the third death at Northstar California Resort this month.
On Sunday, A 53-year-old man from the San Francisco Bay Area died after crashing into another skier at the resort, and last Wednesday, a 26-year-old man from Los Angeles died on an advanced trail.
Northstar California Resort, located north of Lake Tahoe, is just fewer than 29 miles southwest of the Castle Peak area of neighboring Nevada County, where an avalanche claimed the lives of several backcountry skiers this week. That avalanche has now been deemed the deadliest in California’s recorded history.